- Where is Kyrenia located in North Cyprus?
- How to get to Kyrenia?
- When to visit Kyrenia?
- How many days to spend in Kyrenia?
- Places to visit in Kyrenia
- Nightlife in Harbour
- Nightlife in Kyrenia
- Kyrenia Castle
- Transportation options in Kyrenia
- How to rent a car in Kyrenia?
- Distance between Kyrenia and Famagusta?
- Where to stay in Kyrenia during the trip?
- Kyrenia Hotels
Kyrenia Travel Guide
Kyrenia Cyprus is located in the most beautiful place where blue and green meet in the Mediterranean. We have prepared an extensive article for those who want to take Kyrenia holidays. If you want to see Kyrenia district on vacation this year, we have prepared the Kyrenia travel guide for you.
Where is Kyrenia located in North Cyprus?
Kyrenia, also known as Girne in Turkish, is located on the northern coast of Cyprus. It is part of the self-declared Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC).
How to get to Kyrenia?
To get to Kyrenia North Cyprus, you have a few options:
- By air: There are two airports in Northern Cyprus: Ercan International Airport near Nicosia and Larnaca International Airport in the Republic of Cyprus. You can fly to either airport and then take a taxi or bus to Kyrenia.
- By ferry: If you are coming from Turkey, you can take a ferry from one of the Turkish ports to Kyrenia. There are regular ferry services from cities like Alanya, Mersin, and Tasucu to the port of Kyrenia.
- By land: If you are already in Cyprus, you can enter Northern Cyprus by crossing the border checkpoints. The main border crossing is located in Nicosia, and from there you can take a taxi or bus to Kyrenia.
When to visit Kyrenia?
The best time to visit Kyrenia is during the shoulder seasons of spring (April to early June) and autumn (September to November). During these periods, the weather is mild and pleasant, and the crowds are thinner. Additionally, the prices for accommodations and flights are usually lower during these times.
In summer, Kyrenia can get quite hot and crowded, since it is a popular destination for tourists. Therefore, if you plan to visit during the summer months (June to August), be prepared for the hot temperatures, high humidity, and larger crowds.
How many days to spend in Kyrenia?
The number of days to spend in Kyrenia can vary depending on your interests and the amount of time you have available. However, a typical visit to Kyrenia would involve spending at least 2-3 days to fully explore the city and its surroundings.
Places to visit in Kyrenia
There are several places of interest to visit in Kyrenia. Here are some popular attractions:
- Old Kyrenia Harbour: Take a walk along the picturesque harbor lined with colorful fishing boats and charming waterfront restaurants. Enjoy the bustling atmosphere and stunning views of the sea.
- Bellapais Abbey: Located just outside of Kyrenia, Bellapais Abbey is a medieval monastery known for its beautiful architecture and peaceful surroundings. Take a guided tour to learn about its history and enjoy the panoramic views from the abbey's gardens.
- St. Hilarion Castle: Perched on a high mountain, this impressive castle offers breathtaking views of Kyrenia and the surrounding landscape. Explore the ruins of this former Crusader stronghold and imagine life in the medieval times.
- Kyrenia Shipwreck Museum: Situated inside Kyrenia Castle, this museum displays the well-preserved remains of a 4th-century BC Greek merchant ship. Admire the intricate details of the ship and learn about its historical significance.
- Buffavento Castle: Another castle worth visiting, Buffavento Castle is located on top of a mountain. The climb to the castle can be challenging, but the stunning views from the top make it worthwhile.
- Kyrenia National Museum: Learn about the history and culture of Cyprus at this museum, which displays artifacts from different periods, including ancient Roman and Byzantine times.
Nightlife in Harbour
The harbor area in Kyrenia offers a vibrant nightlife scene with plenty of entertainment options. Here are some popular nightlife spots to check out:
- Bars and Pubs: There are numerous bars and pubs along the harbor promenade and nearby streets, offering a wide range of drinks and a lively atmosphere. Some popular spots include The Courtyard Inn, No 7 Pub, and The Harbour Lounge Bar.
- Cafes and Restaurants: Many cafes and restaurants in the harbor area offer a relaxed and enjoyable ambiance for a night out. Enjoy a late dinner with seafood specialties or grab a drink in one of the waterfront cafes and enjoy the views.
- Live Music: Some establishments in the harbor area host live music performances, ranging from traditional Cypriot music to modern bands. Keep an eye out for any upcoming events or performances at venues like The Rocks Hotel and Kervansaray.
- Nightclubs and Discos: If you're in the mood for dancing and late-night partying, a few nightclubs and discos can be found in the harbor area. Places like Senses Club and Montenegro Club offer DJ music, dance floors, and a vibrant atmosphere.
Nightlife in Kyrenia
There are numerous bars and pubs in and around the city center, offering a wide range of drinks and a lively atmosphere. Some popular spots include The Old Mill Inn, The Corner Pub, and Rocks Bar.
Kyrenia has a few nightclubs and discos, such as Niazi's Club and Ice Club, that offer DJ music, dance floors, and a vibrant atmosphere.
Kyrenia is known for its casinos, such as The Colony Casino and Merit Crystal Cove Casino, where visitors can enjoy gambling, live entertainment, and other kinds of entertainment.
During the summer months, Beach Clubs are a popular choice for a night out, with music, drinks, and beach parties. Places like Escape Beach Club and Acapulco Beach Club are popular among locals and tourists alike.
This well-preserved castle is a must-visit spot in Kyrenia. Explore Kyrenia Castle’s ramparts, towers, and dungeons, and don't miss the Shipwreck Museum, which houses the remains of a 4th-century BC Greek merchant ship.
Transportation options in Kyrenia
The local bus network in Kyrenia is a convenient and affordable way to get around the city. Buses operate on several routes, covering major areas. The main bus station is located near the Kyrenia Harbor.
Taxis are readily available in Kyrenia and can be hailed on the street or found at taxi stands. Make sure to negotiate the fare before getting into the taxi or ask them to use the meter.
Dolmus is a shared mini-bus service popular in Kyrenia and throughout Northern Cyprus. Dolmuses operate on specific routes and can be flagged down from designated stops. They are an economical way to travel within the city and to nearby towns and villages.
How to rent a car in Kyrenia?
Renting a car gives you the flexibility to explore Kyrenia and its surroundings at your own pace. EuroDrive is available both in the city center and at the airport. Just make sure you have a valid driver's license and familiarize yourself with local driving laws and regulations.
Experience Kyrenia's charm effortlessly with our top-notch Kyrenia car hire services. Your journey starts here!
Distance between Kyrenia and Famagusta?
Kyrenia and Famagusta are very close to each other. There are 30 km between them.
Where to stay in Kyrenia during the trip?
There are a variety of accommodation options in Kyrenia to suit different budgets and preferences.
Kyrenia Harbor is the heart of Kyrenia and offers a range of hotels, including some with stunning views of the harbor and castle. Staying Kyrenia hotels will put you in close proximity to restaurants, bars, and shops.
Located just a short distance from the harbor, the city center offers a mix of hotels, guesthouses, and apartments. Staying here provides easy access to local amenities, entertainment, and transportation.
Situated to the west of Kyrenia, Lapta offers a quieter atmosphere with a range of hotels and holiday villas. This area is great for those seeking a more relaxed and peaceful stay.
Located on a hillside to the east of Kyrenia, Bellapais is known for its picturesque village and the famous Bellapais Abbey. There are charming boutique hotels and guesthouses offering scenic views and a tranquil ambiance.
For those looking for a beachside getaway, the areas of Escape Beach and Alsancak offer a range of beachfront hotels and resorts with beautiful views of the Mediterranean Sea.
Discover your ideal adventure with a wide range of cars for rent in Cyprus. Your perfect ride awaits!